Mosquitoes thrive where there is standing water, their favorite place to lay their eggs.
Getting rid of some of these habitats is a great first step for effective mosquito control.
- Clean out those gutters. Gutters that have debris and other obstructions allow water to stand for long periods of time, creating a perfect place for mosquitoes to flourish.
- Bird baths, rain barrels, and potted plant trays are other prime locations for water to stand. Emptying these at least once a week will go a long way towards eliminating mosquito habitats.
- Any type of swimming pool can be just one huge nursery for all those mosquito eggs, so make sure to keep that water circulating or change out the water in smaller pools.
- Toys left out in the yard, old tires, and many other places where water can stand should be drained or dumped. A thorough inspection of your yard should help you find many of these problem areas and will give you a good start on getting things under control.
Mosquito bites are certainly annoying, but also potentially dangerous. Mosquitoes carry Zika, West Nile, Malaria and other viruses that are harmful to the health of humans and animals. A few precautions, though not very summer-like, should minimize the danger until mosquito control services are in place.
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks go a long way in preventing bites simply because there is a lot less skin for mosquitoes to bite. Tucking your pants into your socks is another step you can take.
- Use spray mosquito repellents around the yard, especially in areas you suspect may have, or have had, standing water.
- Apply EPA-approved repellents to exposed skin making sure you follow the label directions.
- Set up some citronella candles, torches, or similar type repellents for broader home mosquito control around decks and other places where you spend time.
- Replace outdoor lights with yellow bulbs wherever possible because they have been shown to be less attractive than regular white lights.
- To keep mosquitoes outside where they belong, be sure to have screens on any open windows, and make sure doors stay closed whenever possible.
Red Carpet Mosquito Control provides mosquito and tick control to ny and ct.
We service Rye, Port chester, Scarsdale, harrison, Larchmont, purchase, armonk, greenwich, stamford, darien, easton, fairfeild, westport, and weston.