April 2017 Digital Edition
March 2017 Digital Edition
Feb. 2017 Digital Edition
January 2017 Digital Edition
Nov/Dec 2016 Digital Edition
Oct 2016 Digital Edition
New MEN Micro central processing unit showcased at XPONENTIAL 2016
BLUE BELL, PA (PRNEWSWIRE) MAY 2, 2016
At XPONENTIAL 2016, Booth #2632, MEN Micro Inc. is showcasing the new CB30C, a safety critical CPU board based on VITA 59 RCE (Rugged COM Express). The QorIQ-based board integrates a functional safety architecture with a rugged, low power, small form factor (SFF) making it ideal for embedded control systems in demanding industrial and mobile environments.
• Safety Critical Architecture, Enhanced Onboard Functionality in Compact CPU Board from MEN Micro
• NXP (Freescale) QorIQ processor: single- or dual-core
• Safety critical architecture: fail-silent, fail-safe
• Robust VITA 59 RCE conduction cooled housing
• -40°C to +85°C operating temperature Tcase (qualified components)
• VITA 59 Rugged COM Express-based board provides exceptional reliability
Safety-critical operation defines the CB30C, which is both fail-silent and fail-safe. A dedicated safe supervisor (SUPV) that meets EN 50129 SIL 2 oversees the hardware and monitors all environmental conditions, such as voltage, temperature, shock and vibration, of the CPU subsystem.
If safe operation of the CPU subsystem cannot be guaranteed, the SUPV puts the board in a fail-silent state, shutting down board power to stop all external communications.
In fail-safe mode, such as when an overvoltage is detected, the CB30C enters a non-recoverable, disabled state that requires factory inspection before returning to field use.
The robust aluminum conduction cooled housing, based on VITA 59 RCE, complies with the COM Express Basic form factor and type 6 pin-out. It also shields the COM from EMC and enables the CB30C to be integrated into fanless systems. The board is available without the aluminum frame in a standard COM.0 COM Express version, as well.
Based on an NXP (Freescale) QorIQ single-core (P1013) or dual-core (P1022) processor, the CB30C runs at up to 1 GHz with exceptional per-watt performance. An onboard event logger helps analyze errors, while reducing software overhead. Memory resources include up to 2 GB of soldered DDR3 with ECC support and up to 128 MB of boot Flash.
All components are soldered, which contributes to the ruggedness of the board for exceptional resistance to high shock and vibration. An optional conformal coating further protects the electronics.
MEN Micro – Profile and Mission
Established in 1998, MEN Micro is the United States subsidiary of MEN Mikro Elektronik with sales, technical support, and production. Since the founding of the headquarters in 1982 – and with approx. 300 employees worldwide – MEN has focused on innovation, reliability and flexibility to develop and produce standard and custom computing solutions that employ the highest technology levels. The company provides a robust offering of highly reliable embedded COTS boards and devices widely used in extreme environmental conditions found in mobile, industrial and safety-critical applications.
• Safe computers and systems certifiable up to SIL 4 and DAL-A
• Robust built-to-order box PCs
• Panel PCs for HMIs and digital signage
• Pre-configured built-to-order 19" systems
• Rugged CompactPCI boards and systems
• Network components in compact box format or 40 HP format
• Robust computer-on-modules for individual system designs
For individual requirements, starting with development through design-in and beyond, MEN provides its customers with advice and support as well as with system design, configuration and environmental qualification in accordance with industry standards.
The company's core competencies encompass x86 and RISC processor architectures, development rules for safe applications, analog I/O design, FPGA technology and Windows, Linux and real-time operating systems. Additional expertise includes RAMS and obsolescence management as well as the development of computing hardware for operation in harsh and extreme environmental conditions. Development, production and on-site testing laboratories guarantee traceability and high-quality products.
MEN Micro's computer solutions are used in harsh mission- and safety-critical environments found in the transportation (rail and public transport, off-road and heavy vehicles, aerospace, marine) and industrial (automation, power and energy, medical) markets.
The company is certified to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 (environment), EN 9100 (aerospace) and IRIS (railway) quality management systems, provides systems according to ISO 7637-2 (road traffic) requirements and is a member of several industry associations, consortiums and alliances, including VITA and PICMG.
MEN Mikro Elektronik is a member of:
• AMD Fusion Partner Program
• APTA (American Public Transportation Association)
• ARINC (Aeronautical Radio Incorporated)
• CAN in Automation
• NXP Design Alliance
• Intel® IoT Solutions Alliance
• Open Source Automation Development Lab (OSADL)
• PCI-SIG (Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group)
• PICMG (PCI Industrial Computer Manufacturers Group)
• RSSI (Railway Systems Suppliers, Inc.)
• USB-IF (Universal Serial Bus Implementers Forum, Inc.)
• VITA (VMEbus International Trade Association)
• Wind River Partner Eco System