Some of the deaths from oleander are accidental but others are due to suicide. Plan the perfect garden with our interactive tool →, North Carolina State University: Nerium Oleander, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Weed Science Society of America: Oleander, AAPCC: American Association of Poison Control Centers, University of Florida Extension: Disinfecting Pruning Tools, Clemson University Cooperative Extension: Oleander. Nerium oleander, commonly known as oleander, is a small shrub or tree in the dogbane family in Apocynaceae family. Copyright Leaf Group Ltd. // Leaf Group Lifestyle. The National Institute of Health reports that all parts of the oleander plant are toxic and can cause severe illness or death, including the leaves, flowers, twigs and stems. They may die from cardiac failure. Pets may also suffer muscle tremors and be unable to stand up. People have died from using oleander branches as skewers for meat. If your pet ingests oleander, contact your veterinarian, or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888 … DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. Toxic Properties: Insoluble calcium oxalates; 02 of 09. Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a striking evergreen shrub characterized by long, lance-shaped leaves, a resilient disposition and fragrant blooms in shades of reds, pinks, yellow and white. This article is for information only. Disinfect your pruning shears by soaking your tools in a solution that is equal parts alcohol and water for five minutes. Ingesting even a very small piece of the plant may be fatal. The bad news, according to UW, is that many animals, including dogs, cats, cows, horses and even birds have succumbed to oleander poisoning. Oleander poisoning occurs when someone eats the flowers or chews the leaves or stems of the oleander plant (Nerium oleander), or its relative, the yellow oleander (Cascabela thevetia). The good news is that there have been very few reports of human death due to oleander toxicity, probably due to the plant’s vile taste, says University of Wisconsin’s BioWeb. Oleander is toxic when eaten by dogs. Poisoning symptoms in pets may include colic, sweating, incoordination, difficulty breathing or shallow breathing, and diarrhea, which may turn bloody. If your pet ingests oleander, contact your veterinarian, or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. The result is life … But I will say that oleanders won’t hurt you if you touch or handle them while they are intact. Yes, they can. Ingestion of any part of the oleander plant can lead to dire consequences for both humans and animals. Oleanders are seriously poisonous. Poison from the Oleander plant causes irregular heart beats. Oleander contains compounds that act as cardiac glycosides. No, touching oleander won't poison you. Home > Poisonous plants > Shrub-tree > Pink oleander (Nerium oleander) Pink oleander (Nerium oleander) An ornamental shrub to 4m, often with many slender stems from the ground. Also, children have been poisoned from chewing leaves and sucking nectar from blossoms. Do not burn oleander clippings, as the smoke can irritate the eyes and lungs. Just touching it could potentially cause irritation, and smoke from burning cuttings can potentially cause severe reactions. The Spruce / Michael Marquand. Nerium oleander / ˈ n ɪər i ə m ˈ oʊ l iː æ n d ər /, most commonly known as oleander or nerium, is a shrub or small tree belonging to subfamily Apocynoideae of the dogbane family Apocynaceae and is cultivated worldwide in temperate and subtropical areas as an ornamental and landscaping plant. They may die from cardiac failure. Eating it will, though. If you are cultivating an oleander, wear gloves when you prune the shrub, and wash your hands well afterward. The perfumed flowers are pink, red, white or apricot, 4–5cm across with five spreading petals, and are usually clustered at the end of the branches. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! In parts of Asia it is commonly used as a suicide agent. Even smoke from burning oleander can … Oleander can be found in the gardens of suburban neighborhoods all over the world. Plants are evergreen with yellow tubular (funnel-shaped) flowers. The gummy sap can cause irritation when it comes in contact with the skin, and even … The plant contains a number of toxins, and eating its fruits could possibly kill you and will most definitely blister your mouth and esophagus. They are only dangerous when ingested and are completely safe to touch. Unfortunately, oleander in the landscape is considered to be highly toxic whether the plant is fresh or dried. The ASPCA may charge a $65 consultation fee. Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a striking evergreen shrub characterized by long, lance-shaped leaves, a resilient disposition and fragrant blooms in shades of reds, pinks, yellow and white. Toxic Plants To Dogs - Plants That Are Poisonous To Dogs, Plants Poisonous To Horses: Common Plants That Are Poisonous To Horses, Mulching With Oyster Shells: How Crushed Oyster Shells Help Plants, Unique Paving Ideas – Creative Ways To Use Pavers In The Garden, Sensory Walkway Ideas – Creating Sensory Garden Paths, Sweet Pea Seedpods: Tips On Collecting Seeds From Sweet Peas, Pirate Bug Habitats – How To Identify Minute Pirate Bug Eggs And Nymphs, Suckers On Lemon Trees: What Are Tree Shoots At Base Of Lemon Tree, How Often To Water Anthuriums – Helpful Anthurium Watering Instructions, Cut Flower Gardening: Growing Flowers For Others, Pieces Of Garden Wisdom – Gardening Tips For Beginners, Garden Renovation: Giving Life To Neglected Garden Beds, Ordering Plants: Planning The Spring Garden Begins In Winter.