April 2017 Digital Edition
March 2017 Digital Edition
Feb. 2017 Digital Edition
January 2017 Digital Edition
Nov/Dec 2016 Digital Edition
Oct 2016 Digital Edition
Chuck Brooks, GSN awards judge, nominated for cybersecurity award
Chuck Brooks is a familiar name for Government Security News readers. He has been involved as a judge for the past four years in our Annual Homeland Security Awards and is widely recognized in the homeland security community for his expertise. Chuck has just been nominated “2017 Cybersecurity Marketer of the Year” at the Cybersecurity Excellence Awards and we are excited to share the news.
Chuck's thought leadership writings on cybersecurity have helped shape the public policy debate as he is respected in industry, in the Federal Government, academia, and on Capitol Hill. He has been a force in discussing, advocating, promoting cybersecurity issues across digital media, at events, in professional forums, and with a variety of public policy organizations.
Chuck has authored numerous articles focusing on cybersecurity, homeland security and technology innovation for such publications including Forbes, Huffington Post, The Hill, Alien Vault, InformationWeek, MIT Sloan Blog, Computerworld, Federal Times, NextGov,IT Security Planet, CIO Watercooler, Bizcatalyst360, Gov Tech, The CyberWire, and our own Government Security News. Chuck brings experience from service in the public sector, academia, and with corporations. He serves on a variety of boards, many of them philanthropic. He brings a substantive knowledge on a broad range of cyber issues and a special expertise of cybersecurity in government that have benefited both the not-for-profit, public, and commercial sectors.
Chuck serves a Vice President of Government Relations & marketing for Sutherland Government Solutions. He has been a leading evangelist for cybersecurity in both the public and private sectors. He has been a featured speaker at numerous events and conferences, has written dozens of articles on cyber tech and policy in publications such as Forbes, Huffington Post, The Hill, Federal Times, IT Security Planet, Bizcatalyst360, NextGov, Alien Vault, Gov Tech, Government Security News and many others. Chuck is a pioneer in social media with a global following and has brought significant attention to cyber issues from his frequent posts and commentary on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, FedScoop, and other social media. He also owns and operates several groups on LinkedIn active in cybersecurity and homeland security discussions. He is one of the original “plank holders” at the Department of Homeland Security, worked on Capitol Hill, taught homeland security at Johns Hopkins University and has advised several organizations including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Cyber Resilience Institute, and is a member of the AFCEA Cybersecurity Committee. He also serves as Chairman of CompTIA’s New Emerging Technologies Committee, and as a Christian Science Monitor Passcode Influencers Panel member on Information Security. He is on the Board of Advisors for CyberTech, and on the Board of Directors at Bravatek, and the Cyber Resilience Institute. He is an advisor to Inzero Systems, and The Center for Advancing Innovation. In academia, he has a BA from DePauw University and an MA from the University of Chicago. He also was Adjunct Faculty and taught homeland security at Johns Hopkins University (SAIS) for two years.
Praise for Chuck’s expertise on cybersecurity and homeland security matters is widespread. Some examples already on his nomination form include:
- I have had the great fortune to know Chuck Brooks for many years; from collaborating on projects to sharing insights across the spectrum of government, commercial and educational initiatives that included safety enhancements for a girls school in Afghanistan. His network is unparalleled and his presence at the forefront of technology is persistent. He is a leader in the exchange of ideas and the distribution of information, an evangelist for growth in the cyber-age. He is at the same time a fine man, a good friend and a dedicated American. His passion and initiative define the very excellence which this award seeks to recognize. Michael Marks
- Mr. Chuck Brooks is truly worthy of this 2016-2017 “Cybersecurity Marketer of the Year” excellence award. Through his outstanding and renowned Cybersecurity publications, his brilliance, illustrious insights, and eminent expertise as a highly acclaimed speaker, his great zeal and passion, and his highly esteemed presence and initiatives in the Cybersecurity field, Mr. Chuck Brooks clearly “shines above the rest.” As the leading and prominent authority on Cybersecurity in the U.S., we applaud his unsurpassable excellence and extend our great gratitude for his remarkable and dynamic efforts. No one is more worthy of this great honor and award than highly distinguished Mr. Chuck Brooks who is held in the highest possible esteem. Litsa Sfarnas
- Awareness, education, persistence and passion are the four cornerstones to cybersecurity. His relentless work of letting business leaders and government officials understand their threats has helped get the word out about the overall importance of cybersecurity. His work has shaped legislation, elevated discussions at the board level, and influenced marketplace products. His vast knowledge has made him one the world’s leaders in cybersecurity. Because I, and many others, have learned so much from Chuck, that is why I am nominating Chuck Brooks the 2016-2017 Cybersecurity Marketer of the Year. Dovell Bonnett
- In matters of cybersecurity, the gap between rhetoric and policies, legislation, risks, consequences, understanding… is wider than in every other area of the knowledge we believe we have. Expert. Change Agent. Humanist. Mentor. These are just a few words flowing through my mind the moment I think of Mr. Chuck Brook’s influence on me personally over the years. Striving for knowledge brought me beyond the horizons of discernible. The word ‘unprecedented’ seems too weak to convey just how much the dimensionless operational space of digital (r)evolution requires instantaneous reaction. The pace of change in the digital universe is simply unparalleled. ‘Common sense is not that common’ anymore for naked human eyes and brains. Unlike human intelligence and ability to adapt and learn, technologies accelerate toward speed of light. New digital highways emerged. On these highways it is often impossible to differentiate who follows you; who reads what you write; who learns what.. ; who will use the shared information the way it was meant! Mr. Chuck Brooks feels the Reader! And by that I mean people who want to read … His talent of knowledge sharing is one-of-a-kind.
Herzlichen Dank, Herr Brooks! Herzlichen Dank und viele Grüße to all our readers worldwide!
I vote for Mr. Chuck Brooks in this honourable nomination – 2017 Cybersecurity Excellence Award! Ludmila Morozova-Buss
- Chuck, On behalf of my fellow citizens, thanks for your continued quest to improve the security of the homeland Bradley Rotter
- Today, Cyber security has become an integral part of our lives. Those who have been working to protect us by protecting our military, industrial, political and electoral security are contributing as much and often more than the individual soldier in the battlefield. They even protect that soldier, his unit or even more. Following the evolution of this technology I have kept myself informed of the latest developments. I have observed with satisfaction and some pride the word done by our scientists, engineers and security experts to protect our interests. Mr. Chuck Brooks has been a constant in this struggle for years and I strongly recommend his name for the award and hope he will continue to provide us with his invaluable expertise and experience. Surinder Puri
He can be followed on Twitter @ChuckDBrooks and on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuckbrooks